Yesterday I gave my baby a haircut.
I can’t even believe it. He’s only seven months old!
But, his hair was past his eyes and he had a rather disturbing comb over thing happening.
It was a family affair.
I should preface this by saying I am not a hair stylist. In fact, my youngest sister is and I’m positive she would have been more that happy to give him his first haircut. However, she lives an hour away and I just couldn’t wait any longer. I’m super patient like that.
Secondly, I’m basically a hair stylist by association.
So it started all nice. Scissors and a comb. Then my husband got involved. One comb, two scissors. I’m doing my thing, he is randomly grabbing pieces of hair and chopping. Meanwhile, the 4 year old is trying to get in on the action, insisting that he should be cutting too. Umm, no.
Obviously it was a lot of fun.
So yeah, next time I will leave haircutting to the professionals.
We might as well go ahead and call this cake The Snack Cake of Insane Greatness.
Yeah it’s that good. I’m always a fan of a good banana snack cake, and this one is one of the best I’ve made yet. And that’s big considering I basically make them a couple times a month.
I mean how can you go wrong with a perfectly, dare I say moist banana cake that I’ve made just a little healthier, and then swirl it with Nutella? You can’t.
The base of this cake is slightly healthier as I used coconut oil, whole wheat pastry flour, and kept it nice and moist with low-fat plain yogurt. It’s a nice basic cake recipe which you can make plain, or add any mix ins you like. Best of all, it’s super quick and easy to make. And obviously you can never go wrong with Nutella.
A moist and slightly healthier banana snack cake swirled with Nutella.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour*
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 medium bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- scant 1/2 cup nutella
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 8x8-inch pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, sugar, and egg until smooth. Whisk in the mashed bananas, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture just until no streaks of flour remain. Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top. Dollop the Nutella onto the cake (about 9), and using a knife, lightly swirl the Nutella into the cake.
- Bake for about 30 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
*I used whole-wheat pastry flour, but feel free to use all-purpose flour. You may substitute melted butter for the coconut oil if you prefer. This recipe is easily doubled.
Portuguese Girl Cooks Original.