I’ve been literally working on this post for what seems like the better part of three weeks. I’m sorry to hold out on you! Did I mention that my in-laws moved in with us for the next two months while they visit? That’s why I’ve been M.I.A pretty much everywhere, my apologies!. It’s been a HUGE adjustment for all of us. The hardest part being that we do not speak the same language, and while the three of us are are home together it’s a bit of a struggle. Basically, there is a lot of miming going on. It’s really a sight to see, no joke. But slowly, we will get some sort of routine going where I don’t spend the whole day cooking lunch and dinner and I will be back in business.
Anyhoo. Can we talk about my new obsession with granola?
I’m not even sure why non earth it took me so long to make some, but so glad I did. When I saw Kathryn post her granola with cocoa nibs I was completely inspired because I had a huge bag of cocoa nibs left over from Christmas cookie baking. And lets be honest, one cannot live on cookies alone, so something relatively healthy was bound to happen.
Because I was incorporating cocoa nibs (which are super good for you by the way), I knew that my granola had to be chocolate. I opted to just use cocoa powder and no chocolate chips to keep it on the healthier side and some espresso powder to bring out the chocolate flavour.
If you’re so inclined, you could add some toasted coconut which I will likely do next time. But here is how much of a weirdo I am. In my brain I am totally and utterly convinced that I hate coconut, and then I have it in something and I decide I like it but can never actually bring myself to use it.
Like I said. Total. Freak.
So yeah, make this. It’s ridiculously simple and delicious.
A healthy and guilt free chocolate granola. Serve with milk, or on yoghurt.
- 3 cup rolled oats (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 1 cup almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup ground flax seed
- 1/3 cup cocoa nibs
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso powder (optional)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons honey (agave or maple syrup for vegan option)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, stir to combine the oats, almonds, flax seed, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, salt, and espresso powder.
- In a small microwave safe mixing bowl, add the coconut oil and honey. Microwave for about 1 minute or until the coconut oil is melted. Add in the vanilla extract and stir to combine. Pour over the oat mixture and stir to combine until the mixture is well coated. Pour onto prepared cookie sheet and bake for about 30 to 35 minutes, mixing the granola about every 10 minutes. Cool on a cooling rack until completely cool. Break up the chunks and store in an airtight container for about 1 month.
Feel free to add chocolate chips or tasted coconut (about 1 cup)