Today I’m one year older.
When I was young I thought 29 was really old. I was wrong. Really, really, wrong. At least that’s what I’m telling myself today.
Normally, I would bake myself a cake. Yes, bake myself a cake. That sounds so wrong, at least in my head. But I think if you’re a baker, you will totally understand this. No one dares make a cake for a baker, or worse yet, buy one. It’s the bakers dilemma. Always afraid to disappoint. Trust me, I think it’s the thought that counts. Now I really don’t mind, because I love to bake so much, but I have no time today. Tomorrow, I hop on a plane overseas for a few weeks to visit my husband’s family who I have yet to meet. He’s excited. I’m terrified.
So instead of a cake, I thought I would make myself a fancy breakfast. Yes, this is fancy, for me. I’m a smoothie, or protein shake for breakfast kind of girl. Real classy, I know. Honestly, this was so good. I enjoyed it immensely. And spending a few extra minutes in the kitchen this morning really helped to relieve some anxiety. Plus, taking pictures is one of my favourite things to do, so it was a little birthday treat; before the rest of the day is filled with hustle and bustle.
For the oatmeal, I made steel cut oats made with water and unsweetened almond milk, and a touch of cinnamon. The almond milk gives it a rich and creamy texture. Now, the star of the show really is the caramelized apples. I used a tart granny smith apple, with brown sugar, butter (obviously, it’s fancy right?), brandy (extra fancy), spices, and lots of lemon juice. The lemon juice brought a beautiful freshness, and added such a wonderful flavour and a little bit of tartness. My only regret, I didn’t make enough apples, they were so good!
Hope you all have a great day!
p.s I will be posting while I’m away, but likely only twice per week. I hope to sneak in a few pictures of my trip as well!
p.s.s. These apples would be amaze-balls on ice-cream. Just in case you were wondering.
Warm caramelized spiced apples over creamy steel cut oats.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk (or milk, soy, or water)
- 1/2 cup steel cut oats (or regular oats)*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 apple, cored, peeled and sliced (I used granny smith)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pinches nutmeg
- 1 scant tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brandy or rum *see note
- pinch of salt
- In a large saucepan, bring milk and water to a boil. Add the steel cut oats, and cinnamon, reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally until creamy and cooked through. (Alternatively, cook according to package directions)
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat butter until melted, add the sliced apples and toss until coated with butter. Sprinkle with the sugar, cinnamon nutmeg, and stir. Cook for about 5 to 7 minutes, until the apples have softened. Add in the lemon juice, and brandy. Cook for an additional minute or two until the sauce is slightly reduced.
- Spoon the warm apples over the oatmeal and serve.
Cook oats according to package directions. If you don't want to use alcohol, substitute with juice, or apple cider.
Portuguese Girl Cooks original.