A rich and moist pumpkin coffee cake with a streusel middle and topping, drizzled with vanilla glaze.
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125ml) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 5 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup chopped, lightly toasted pecans (optional)
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or slightly less table salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup homemade or canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and position rack to the middle position. Butter and flour a 9-inch springform pan. Alternatively, you can use a 9-inch cake pan with 3-inch sides.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Add in the pieces of butter, and using a pastry cutter, or 2 knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs have formed. Mix in the toasted pecans if using.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and brown sugar on medium-high speed until it is well combined. On low speed, beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the bowl after each addition. Add in the pumpkin puree and sour cream and mix on low speed just until combined. Fold in the flour mixture by hand. Batter will be thick.
- Evenly spread half of the cake batter in the cake pan, and then top with 1/3 of the streusel. Evenly spread the remaining cake batter, then top with the remaining streusel topping.
- Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan on a cooling rack for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cake.
To toast the pecans: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place chopped pecans on a baking sheet and bake for about 5 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains an Amazon affiliate link.