Prep time: 20 minutes plus chill time.
Yield: About 1 pint ice cream
- 1-1/3 pounds (600g) ripe peaches (about 4 large), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream or balkan style yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 peaches
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a medium, non reactive saucepan, add the peach chunks and water, and cook covered over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir only once or twice while cooking.
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar, and stir until sugar is dissolved. Let stand until mixture is room temperature.
- Add in the heavy cream, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine and transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you may use an immersion blender right in the pot and puree.
- Add in the lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Chill the mixture until cold, and process in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.
- For the grilled peaches:
- Cut the peaches in half and remove pits. Brush the cut side of the peach with melted butter. Grill on a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until slightly browned. Slice and serve immediately with ice cream.