I haven’t been doing much baking all summer, as I’m sure you can tell. However, we have been enjoying the abundant and beautiful local fruit that Ontario has to offer. Peaches are one of my absolute favourite fruits, and I wait all year for them to come into season. Come January, I’m craving a bite of the sweet fruit, and the juice that slightly drips down your chin.
While I had many plans for beautiful cakes and desserts that involved peaches, they somehow never happened. The peaches never lasted long enough for me to bake with them.
And while we are coming to the end of peach season, and summer in fact; I wanted to share a beautiful and simple peach dessert with you. This dessert is simple, elegant, and showcases the flavour of peaches at their peak. Best of all, it’s simple and quick to make.
The ice cream starts off with fresh ripe peaches, which shine through. This ice cream is not a custard base which makes it a snap to make, and dirties as few dishes as possible, which is always a plus in my book. Lately, I’ve really taken to non custard based ice creams because I really enjoy the texture, and the ease of making it.
The ice cream is great on its own, but I think that the grilled peaches complete the dish. Grilling the peaches enhances their flavour, caramelizes them slightly, and adds a nice warmth to the dish. It only takes a few minutes on the grill, and I think it’s an element that shouldn’t be missed.
Peach Ice Cream with Grilled Peaches
Prep time: 20 minutes plus chill time.
Yield: About 1 pint ice cream
- 1-1/3 pounds (600g) ripe peaches (about 4 large), peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup (125ml) water
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream or balkan style yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 3 peaches
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a medium, non reactive saucepan, add the peach chunks and water, and cook covered over medium heat until soft, about 10 minutes. Stir only once or twice while cooking.
- Remove from the heat and add the sugar, and stir until sugar is dissolved. Let stand until mixture is room temperature.
- Add in the heavy cream, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine and transfer to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Alternatively, you may use an immersion blender right in the pot and puree.
- Add in the lemon juice and mix to combine.
- Chill the mixture until cold, and process in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions.
- For the grilled peaches:
- Cut the peaches in half and remove pits. Brush the cut side of the peach with melted butter. Grill on a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until slightly browned. Slice and serve immediately with ice cream.
Ice cream slightly adapted from The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments.