Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
- 7 cups Whole Milk
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large (5qt) pot, add in whole milk, heavy cream, and salt. Attach a candy or deep fry thermometer to the pot. Over high heat bring the milk to 190 degrees F. Once the milk reaches 190 degrees remove from the heat and add the lemon juice. Mix one to two times and let the mixture sit untouched for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, line a colander with 2 layers of fine cheesecloth and set over a large bowl.
- Once the milk mixture has rested, curds and whey should have formed. Pour the mixture into the colander and let drain for 1 to 2 hours. The longer it sits the thicker and creamier it will be.
- Use right away or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.