Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes plus 2 hours inactive
Total time: 2 hours 45 minutes
Yield: 8 to 12 buns
- 3 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 4 large eggs, divided
- 1 stick (4 ounces) butter, melted
- 4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour plus additional if needed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 6 ounces, about 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, add in the yeast, sugar, and warm water. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
- Add in the 3 eggs and melted butter. Mix until incorporated.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, add in the flour and salt. Mix to combine. Add in the yeast mixture, and mix on low to incorporate slightly. Add in the grated cheese and ground pepper. The dough should clear the sides of the bowl. If it is still sticking, add more flour one tablespoon at a time. Mix on low speed for 5 to 7 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.**The dough should be slightly tacky but not stick to your fingers when touched. If it sticks to your fingers add in more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Shape the dough into a ball and transfer to a large greased bowl. Cover with a clean dish cloth and let rise in a warm, draft free area until the dough has doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a Silpat. Divide the dough into 8 to 12 pieces (they will be bigger when they are baked), and form into balls. Place on prepared baking sheet 1 inch apart, and press down slightly with the palm of your hand. Cover with dish towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Let the buns continue to rise during this time.
- In a small bowl, beat the remaining egg and brush the tops of the buns with the egg wash.
- Bake the buns until golden brown, about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Buns may be frozen in a ziploc bag.
Disclosure: This post contains an Amazon affiliate link.