If you’re looking for a great cookie to add to your holiday baking this year, look no further. These molasses spice cookies are amazing. They have the perfect balance of spice and an amazing molasses flavour that is not overpowering. Because the cookie dough is rolled in sugar before baking they add a beautiful sparkle to the cookies. The best part? They are amazingly soft and chewy. These are my absolute favourite holiday cookie and they are incredibly quick and easy to make.
Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies
Makes 2 1/2 dozen cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1/4 cup molasses
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
3. In a small bowl, place 1/2 cup of granulated sugar; and set aside.
4. With a stand mixer, beat butter and 1 cup of sugar together until combined. Beat in egg, and then molasses until well combined. Reduce mixer speed to low, gradually mix in flour mixture, just until combined and a dough forms.
5. Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough and roll into a ball. Roll dough balls in reserved sugar.
6. Arrange dough balls on baking sheet, about 3 inches apart. Bake one sheet at a time, until edges are just firm, about 9-10 minutes. Cool cookies on baking sheets for 1 minute; then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
7. Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.