When I saw these muffins online I knew I had to make them. Not only did they look delicious but they looked quite healthy as well. Whats better then the combination of bananas and chocolate? Since then, I have made them twice! They have been a real hit in my house, and no one suspected that they had whole wheat flour and very very little fat. These muffins are extremely moist, thanks to the bananas and addition of applesauce. They have a wonderful chocolate flavor and are not overly sweet. These muffins taste even better the next day. Go ahead and give these a try, I bet they will become a favorite.
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
3 large bananas, mashed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in middle position. Line muffin tin.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas. Add in the sugar, egg, and applesauce. Mix until combined.
- In a small bowl, whisk together, whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- Quickly fold the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among the prepared pan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool. Store in airtight container for up to 3 days.
Source: Handle the Heat